Thursday, March 8, 2012

Hump Day

Hey there eveybody!

How is everyone doing this week?
So sorry if I sound a bit like a bum while I am talking. I am just really drained, I just got done playing basketball and all I want to do is sleep! haha! But anyways! I am so happy for Nicole! Sounds like her baptism went great! :) I am so happy for her! And sounds like the Spirit was there to confirm it... :) Ahh!! that really does just make me so pumped for her! :) 

So yeah with our baptisms this weekend! Gisela and Jordi were baptized! Ahh! Such a great baptism! What was even better was the confirmation. I baptized Gisela, Elder Wilkey baptized Jordi. But when the Bishop was confirming Gisela we could all just feel something.. She told me after church that she just felt the warmth all over her body, and comfort and peace... The same feeling she felt when the Lord answered her prayer about the Book of Mormon! God acts in the smallest ways.. But it's by small and simple things that he is going to touch us! :) It was just really special... If I did not have another baptism my whole mission, I would go home feeling.. No not feeling - knowing that I was successful, just because I have already seen what the Gospel.. what Jesus Christ has done for this family's life... She is always smiling now... Before it was only every once in a while. Now you can't wipe it off her face! :) She is just so happy! :) And you can just feel the difference and see it in her eyes! :) 

So anyways before I forget, I have not got a package yet and yes I am still DL. We have a meeting with President Smith up in Scarsdale this Friday! So that will be fun/interesting! I will get to see a lot of people I have not seen in a while. Well maybe.. It's a leadership meeting so it depends if anyone I know upstate is in leadership! But anyways I am still living with Elder Kropf and Elder Lewis! Haha our apartment is awesome! They always keep me laughing! Elder Kropf is really funny! haha.. Don't judge a book by its cover. The first time I met him I thought he was going to be a total dork.. But not at all. haha... We just got a bunch of weights and we are trying to beef him up. He is taking a weight enhancement supplement called "Russian Bear".  Haha he weighs 125... So we are trying to fix that. So we are working out pretty hard core every morning. 

So Elder Scaife is in my ZONE!! :) It made me so happy when I got to see him last week1 It had been like 10 months. He has been exiled to upstate his entire mission! (Ah... I really don't want to go up there lol! Just because of that I probably will) I love the city... I could never live here.. But it is so fun being here as a missionary.. And just so many awesome/ interesting people! :) But for real.. the mission is weird.. You make so many close friendships and then phoop! They are gone like that.. Saying bye to Huerta last week was really hard. I had been around him my whole mission... when he left me as my companion I was OK... But when I came to be in the same District as him I was so happy, and we became such good friends.. Not gonna lie I cried just a little. Just stinks seeing so many people you love go... Many of which I may never see again :/ Welll not in this life anyways.. but for sure after this life We will be partying up in Heaven! lol! 

But I just want to commend you and Dad on all the stuff you guys put up with from us kids.. We are Dumb.. Lets face it! We know it! We are just to prideful to admit it! You 2 are the bomb! You guys have been working our butts off from Greg hitting me in the face with a lightsaber, to me punching holes in the wall, to Todd just about killing Thomas, to the stuff you guys are putting up with now!  Mom, Dad, I am so happy that the two of you get to take a vacation here soon! You 2 deserve one! For real! You guys have worked hard for such a long time! Have fun! :) 


So Blues are on fire! They are going ot take the Cup this year! ah!! I am so excited! I So hope they do!.. Saints.. Gash that ticks me off.... I really hope that this all just blows over... And Peyton.. :( well I discovered something this morning when I heard that.. I am not a huge Colts fan after all.. I mean I am I still like them.. but it was realy Peyton Manning.... That makes me sad that he is leaving. I hope wherever he goes he does really well! I am sure he is just going to continue putting up numbers and breaking records!


 And Melissa is doing good!  But she is just peachy! :) She has finals this week and  Spring Break the next!  She really is just awesome! :) Seriously.. for real there is just something about that girl :) :) 

Uhm what else to say??  oh hey did Greg ever get the shirt I bought him?? Did you get that package?? .. Could you send me some Spanish Disney Music?? Haha I think that would be a fun language study lol! 

But yeah other than all this I am great! The Work is great! And I am just loving life like usual! We have a bap date with a little girl named Chris for the 18th of this month! Miracles just keep coming! Can't wait for next cycle though... I just really want to start working hard again! But we are pushing forward ya know?? :) Well I love you all so very much and I hope you have a great week!!! :) 

Love, Elder Marky Mattei! 

Don't miss me too much!! !1 more year! !!! :) Excited.. / Disappointed that I only have that much more time! But I got 369 more days to make the best of it! :) And it is going to be awesome! I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SUPPORT!! :) 



This week marks Elder Mattei's halfway point, often called the HUMP week.  It's all downhill from here!  Here's an analogy I have found that I sent him to help commemorate the occasion ~


The Camel is the Symbol of the Seasoned Missionary

 As you come to the one-year mark of your mission, I am sending you a camel
 to remind you how far you have come, and where you are going.  There are
 many similar characteristics of a great missionary and a camel.

 The first is the "hump"
 Yes, you have crossed the mark and now are over the hump of the first year.
 But remember, the hump of a camel is used to store food for the long
 journey.  Camels can go far for long periods of time without food, but a
 wise missionary will store the knowledge he has gained and put it to
 greater use the second half of his mission.

 Another important characteristic is what the camel does to be prepared to
 carry his load for his Master.  A camel sometimes protests his heavy load,
 but he drops to his knees for his Master and once started, he patiently
 carries his load.
 As a missionary, sometimes the load seems heavy and difficult to carry.
 But when you drop to your knees and succumb to the Master's will, he will
 carefully lead you and you can bear the load patiently, and do your Father
 in Heaven's work as he would have you do.  This is why the camel's knees
 are heavily padded, as a missionary, your knees are calloused from many
hours of kneeling in prayer.

 The camel has high set eyes, which enable him to see long distances.
 A missionary has his eyes set on higher things, he follows the Spirit that
 enables him to see the Children of God, those who are seeking answers, and
 he teaches them the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

 The camel has broad, two-toed feet, which keep it from sinking in the
 desert sand.
 A missionary has a broad knowledge and a firm testimony of the Gospel.
 This enables him to teach with boldness and stand steadfast and immoveable.
 The people you teach do not yet have the blessings of such a sure-foot,
but as you teach with love and the Spirit, you will help them gain their
own testimony, that will help them walk on firmer ground, the path that
will lead them back to their Father in Heaven.

 So you see, a Missionary has a lot in common with a camel.
 Put this camel where you can see it often.
 Dedicate yourself to do as the camel does. (no spitting)
 Serve your Master well and patiently over the long journey.
 You have come a long way, there is still much ground to cover.
 Continue to move forward, serving with love, until your mission is
complete and your Father in Heaven will say, "Well done, thou good and
faithful servant." 


...

No comments:

Post a Comment